Saturday, April 14, 2012

Hemingway

I have not read Hemingway before this and unfortunately the book The Sun Also Rises does not make me want to read any more of his works.  To me it was slow and uneventful.  I am still not sure what the plot was.

     The gist of the story is that Jake is a reporter and well off financially.  He hangs around with all sorts of people, but doesn't really appear to be sociable.  He is in love or so he appears to be with Brett, but she is not in love with him, although she calls on him throughout the book.  To me he was in lust not love, because if it was love, then he would have stood up for himself and told her that he loved her and married her.  Instead, he allows her to walk all over him and even has him set her up to be with a very young Matador.  Plus she flaunts that she was with Cohn (a Jewish boxer who is deeply infatuated with her) to him.  And all the while she is doing this, she is engaged to Mike. 
     Brett is definitely the center of the story because she is lusted after by all of the men.  Throughout the book, she is in the center of something...she is surrounded by the dancers at the fiesta and not allowed to dance; she is stared at by women through the windows; and men stare at her and try to be with her.  She leads on everyone, especially Jake, for she knows that he supposedly loves her.  Plus she sleeps with way too many people...feminism is great, but she is just plain slutty.  I mean she sees the Matador, doesn't know him and asks Jake to introduce her to him, because she is in love with him.  When he does introduce him, she sends Jake away and goes back to the hotel with the young Matador and has sex with him.  This character definitely has issues.
     The men in the story are no better, because they knew how she was and they put up with her.
     The end of the story was quite predictable.  One knew that he would be called to rescue her, because he was told that she did not have any money with her and his reaction was that he continued to repeat the statement that she had no money.  Plus he made sure that the hotel forwarded his messages to him in hopes that he would be called on to rescue the damsel in distress.  And he went back to Spain, even though he really did not want to, because he wanted to be near if she did call upon him to rescue her.  Which of course is exactly what happened.  Did he get the girl, no, because she said she was going back to Mike to marry him. 
     Can anyone tell me what the word "Tight" has to do with anything?  It was throughout the story and appeared to have many meanings.  Quite frankly the word was starting to annoy me and I wondered why the writer could not come up with any other words.  I get that those he associated with did not use a bunch of words, but surely they had more than just the word "Tight" to describe their feelings.

4 comments:

  1. "Tight" is slang for getting drunk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a fan of Hemmingway so I might be a bit biased, but he is a good writer and worth checking into to read more on him! I did like the “Sun Also Rises” thought it was good to read, maybe if you read some of his other works you would enjoy him as a writer?
    -Samantha S

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it interesting that you thought that Jake was in lust and not love. I disagree because his injury makes it impossible for him to have sex. In my opinion, lust is all about sexual desire, where as love goes beyond that. Although I consider Jake to be a bit of an idiot for following Brett around and hoping that he can get her to marry him someday, I still think that he is really in love with her.
    Amanda Renslow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, I agree with your thoughts on Hemingway. I have never cared much for his style. I always find that his works don’t have much in the way of plot, especially this one. I also think that for all his supposed sparse writing style, he repeats a lot of sentences.

    I would disagree though that Jake does not actually love Brett. He knows that he can never have her sexually due to his wound, so it must be love that keeps him around. Also, I think that Brett loves or at least want Jake. I’ve always thought that it was one reason she always slept around; she wants to be with him but can’t have him.

    ReplyDelete